Some requirements from the Code of Ordinances (Title 10, Chapter 6):
- One permanently surfaced parking space shall be provided for each residential second unit except if you live within one mile of a transit loop.
- Height and setback requirements vary with zoning district. Here are a few:
- 20’ minimum front and rear setbacks in all R zones
- 8’ minimum interior side setback in all R zons
- 12’ minimum street side setback in all R zones.
- 30’ maximum building height above average grade
- 18’ maximum building height above ridgeline
- Refer to tables 10-3.411 more info
- Residential second unit square footage is calculated as part of the primary living unit and subject to its limitations
- Maximum of one second unit per lot containing a single-family dwelling
- Maximum of 800 square feet, minimum of 150 square feet
- Second unit must compliment the design of the primary living unit
Verify with the Planning Division to confirm your requirements in your zoning district.
- Town of San Anselmo Planning
- San Anselmo General Plan (large PDF)
- San Anselmo Code of Ordinances on Municode
- MarinMap – Interactive Map
Do you have a potential second unit you want to build in San Anselmo? New Avenue can help you through the process!