It’s crucial to dedicate appropriate time to gather your thoughts and consult with friends, family membera and neighbors before making a decision to start. Take the time to collect ideas in design magazines, looking online, visiting friends cottages, attending open houses, snapping photos of styles you like and deciding what you need, what you want and what would be the dream. By putting in some hours up front brainstorming and organizing thoughts, you’ll end up with a enjoyable project experience and reduce the likelihood of needing to make changes mid stream.
We built the Design Book tool specifically for this purpose. It gives you a notebook, scrapbook and photo organizer all in one. Design Books are to get you thinking about what products and options go in a small home project and all the big and little decisions you’ll need to make. You can use it to get your feet wet before moving on to speak with designers and architects.
The Design Book tool lets you collect ideas for 9 different ‘Spaces’ of a cottage.
The spaces we give you to work with are:
1. Architectural Style – General look and feel of the home.
2. Bathroom – Tile, Vanity’s, Tubs, Showers, Faucets…
3. Bedroom – Lofts, Queen’s, King’s….
4. Entry & Outdoor Space – Decks, Patios, Breezeways…
5. Kitchen – Countertops, Islands, Pot Racks, Sinks…
6. Floor Plans – Different interior arrangements for similar square footage homes.
7. Living Room – Cathedral Ceilings, Natural Lighting, Wood Beams…
8. Office – Different styles and designs.
9. Systems & Sustainability – Green Roofs, Grey Water Systems, Recycled Materials…
You can save pictures of styles you like to each Space by searching our selection, uploading your own or using our bookmarklet to save pictures from anywhere on the web. If you like to clip magazine images, you can transfer them to your design book easily by taking snapshots with a smartphone. You can do the same for any drawings or sketches you make yourself.
We encourage you to browse other member’s Design Books for inspiration and publish yours when you’re ready to show it off for fun.
Your Design Book allows the New Avenue team to see what you see and get on the same page with your vision. Creating an account takes 10 seconds and you’re ready to start.
Continue to the next topic – New Avenue Process Phase I – Weeks 1-7